11 things you'll probably relate to if you've experienced chronic illness


1. Seeing a specific doctor so much that you feel just as close to them as you do to your actual friends. 
Is it acceptable to invite your doctor to your birthday party?...Asking for a friend, obviously.

2. The excitement when you get blood test results back and there’s something wrong that’s actually treatable. 
The day I found out easily-corrected low iron levels were worsening my fatigue was truly one of the most magical days of my life. 

3. Changing out of your pyjamas before 1pm and feeling like the most adulty adult ever to adult.
I hope this one isn’t just me! 

4. The joy when you find out someone you know in real life has had similar experiences and knows what you’re going through! 
Like, it obviously really sucks for you and I wouldn’t wish a chronic illness on my worst enemy... but hurray, someone who gets it!

5. The sheer relief when you realise that you have a ‘normal people’ virus and aren't just having a chronic illness flare.
Panic over guys, it’s just the flu! 

6. Wanting to roll your eyes all the way to Mars and back when someone says you don’t ‘seem sick’.
What are you even supposed to say to this? "Sorry, I left my giant 'I'm chronically ill' badge at home today. You'll just have to take my word for it instead."

7. Actually being happy when a doctor admits that you know more than they do about your condition. 
More often than not, the alternative is just being told that because they didn’t learn about this in medical school 30 years ago then you’re probably just making it all up. 

8. The thrill of finding clothes that are both fashionable AND comfortable! 
I want to look nice but most of the time I’m in enough discomfort as it is, so I’m not about to subject myself to the horror that is skinny jeans. Or anything that isn’t stretchy for that matter. Jeggings are a sick girl's best friend!

9. Forgetting sometimes that not everyone goes through what you do. 
Why do people sound so concerned when you say you have to go the doctors? I'm fine - I mean I'm chronically ill, but otherwise normal. This is just a normal Tuesday!

10. The super awkward moment when someone sees you using mobility aids for the first time, and asks "what happened?!”.
...Soooooo... this is a story all about how my life got flipped - turned upside down... 

11. Being eternally grateful for the internet and modern technology for giving you a way to stay in touch with the outside world even when you’re stuck in bed.
As much as people want to tech shame and say we're all "addicted to our smartphones", there have been many times for me when the only contact I've had with anyone other than my parents and doctors was through social media. Say what you will about the internet, but it helps save so many of us with chronic illnesses from feeling completely isolated and alone in what we are going through. 

As always, if you have anything to add then please do leave a comment! Also, apologies for not posting last month - I want to post monthly but I've been having a hard time getting anything done with the way my health is right now. Fingers crossed things start to pick up soon!

Hugs to you all,

Isabel 





Comments

Popular Posts